Saturday, January 30, 2010

The Feminist Art of Breastfeeding

When we trust the makers of baby formula more than we do our own ability to nourish our babies, we lose a chance to claim an aspect of our power as women. Thinking that baby formula is as good as breast-milk is believing that thirty years of technology is superior to three million years of nature's evolution. Countless ...women have regained trust in their bodies through nursing their children, even if they weren't sure at first that they could do it. It is an act of female power, and I think of it as feminism in its purest form." Christine Northrup M.D.


Yes, yes, yes! I am so thrilled to see this strong and beautiful statement by Dr.Northrup.
I have often thought along the same lines.
When I was pregnant I knew I would breastfeed. It just made sense. I was completely amazed by the changes my body was going through and so mystified by the swell of my breasts.
How could there be any other way?
The baby is there, the milk is there, it's so flawless.

Oh, and when that boy came and was set to my breast, life had meaning.

He had a great latch and away we went for twenty seven months there after.
I was following my biology, doing what had been done by mothers millions of years before me, doing what my body was designed for and what my baby was born to do.
I was simply being a mom at a very basic level, yet so much more was brewing beneath this sacred act.

Through breastfeeding I allowed my feminine self to rise.
Through breastfeeding I learned to trust my instincts.
Through breastfeeding I reclaimed my body, my breasts.
Through breastfeeding I discovered my power.

No comments:

Post a Comment